Lean Six Sigma in IT Industry
An information system is a combination of information technology and people’s activities using that technology to support operations, management, and decision-making. The term information system is frequently used to refer to the interaction between people, algorithmic processes, data and technology. In this sense, the term is used to refer not only to the information and communication technology (ICT) an organization uses, but also to the way in which people interact with this technology in support of business processes.
As such, information systems inter-relate with data systems on the one hand and activity systems on the other. An information system can also be considered a semi-formal language which supports human decision making and action.
Case Study Description
In software testing processes, test applications that are developed/ enhanced as per the business requirement, before they get released into the production environment. In a large software company, there was no accurate measurement metric in place for tracking utilization. There was also scope of improving productivity. With a 10% increase in productivity in CML & CRS Testing, there is an estimated 6 FTE benefit, which translates to $110,400.
1. Using multiple statistical techniques, top root causes were verified as
2. Gaps in prep phase i.e. account conditioning, prepping
3. Late receipt of Project Documentation / BRDs etc. Delay in resolving queries
4. More Number of queries raised in Query logs
5. Systems slow / Prolonged system access issue resolving
6. Inadequate clarity during prep phase
7. Delay due to Rework/Research during execution due to gaps in script review
8. Delay/rework due to scripting issues
Using group brainstorming and solution evaluation methods, top solutions finalized were.
1. RAM upgrade on systems
2. Project Milestone creation – Planned dates/schedule.
After implementing process controls, the results were –
1. Data given to testers for conditioning well before execution start date
2. No. of trackers were reduced.
3. Query reduction
4. SLA for query resolution was put in place. Reports initiated on query resolution.
5. $ 135,000 benefits
Feedback from participants
Great training with easy, relevant and good recall value.
– Niloy Kumar, System Engg, Adobe
Very well structured course material. Training conducted was not only from exam point of view but it was ensured that concepts were cleared.
– Bhavin Ashok kumar Mehta, System Analyst, Cybage Software Pvt Ltd
Innovative way of teaching six sigma. Great course material.
– Shivani Jamwal, AM-IT, Evalueserve
I liked the layout and the flow of session.
– Magnum Gupta, Asst. System Engineer, TCS