Vishwadeep Khatri

As The King, So The People?

post-49294-0-83684700-1361331078.jpg

Yatha Raja, Tatha Praja - As the king, so the people - This last part of the shloka from Sanskrit is often quoted. Let us examine this.

Point (In favor) -

The point is emphasized often and is well accepted. Leadership at most places is likely to give an idea of the culture. Also, change in leadership can re-align an organization. It is common to see schools doing well when a dynamic Principal takes charge. Steve Jobs made a major reversal in fortunes of Apple. I am sure you have much more examples on this.

Counterpoint (against) -

The counterpoint is also commonly evidenced. I recently spoke to a business change leader who was planning a job switch. He was highly concerned about the average age in a company from where he had an offer. He said, "I shall join the company only if the average employee age is below 40 years". Leaders, many times want to choose the people that they wish to lead. This counterpoint explains the opposite logic - As the people, so the king or yatha Praja, tatha raja.

On one hand, a dynamic leader is needed to create new mindsets and to challenge status quo. On the other hand, leaders wish to have the right team suggesting that the leader can perform well only if provided with the right team.

Which view do you support more and why?

I support the first view. There are many leadership styles, Situational Leadership, being one amongst them propounded by Blanchard. A leader wanting to get the best team is probably what he aspires in that situation, at that point of time. Given the right mix everyone can become successful, probably with the managerial skills one possesses (a good manager). But, when chips are down, you face adversity getting the best out of your men, well to me that's a Leader.

A thought provoking point none the less. Thanks.

Yes a leader is one who believes in Team work, Gives credit to his team members when a good job is done and takes the blame when a project fails. Works by Objectives ( SMART) , Benchmarks with the best , Has a strong review mechanism for jobs assigned,uses Statistical tools ( factual data) to arrive at decision.Is Customer driven.

Anirudha Raodeo ( Six Sigma Master Black Belt)

"Yad yada charati shreshta, tat tat devetaro janah,

sa yat pramanam kurte, lokastanuvartate."

Whatever the leader or the noble do, the others follow. Whatever standards they

set, people behave accordingly.

Leaders will always be dynamic and trend setters. They will form new teams with the available

members. To emerge at the right time is the quality of a leader and if a wrong leaders emerges,

they will not last long.

The king does have an influence on the masses... But if masses imbibe all the virtues and lose their individuality then the Great Indian Elections will cease to exist...

There are certain core values that are specific to individuals... These core values always remain and differentiate an individual from others... The Leadership style may influence the behavioral patterns but that is ephemeral... The core traits always remain intact!!!

These core traits keep the government responsible and mobilize people when the King deviates from the purpose for which he holds his position!!

I support both,

First, when the leaders initiate, plans, execute and deliver(close) it will be the leader who will be leading and the team will be following the direction for success. A leader who motivates and energized the team adapts the way of motivation and leadership, which he/she in-builds in him/herself first. and for the team, it will be learning from the action of his leader. (In defense if the captain is brave and reactive then his team is also very brave and active and if the captain is coward and reluctant then the soldiers will be also the same) : Yatha Raja, Tatha Praja - As the king, so the people

Second when the leaders are in Monitoring and Controlling Phase. Then should know and have all the facts and data of the team before concluding any things. They should understand the reason behind any deviation and then react as per the situation. to should put themselves in the shoe of the team to find the root cause and control the variance where his/her team is. As the people, so the king or yatha praja, tatha raja.

I support the view - As the king, so the people.

But this largely depends on the situation that we take.

Example.. in a simple classroom situation, if the professor himself is not disciplined in coming to class at the scheduled time, he is setting a wrong example for the students.. and also, he will not be in a position to question a student who comes late, next time...

As the king, so the people... Hence proved!

I personally believe that leaders do have a role to play; but in a dynamic scenario of today's world, where we would often come across situations, where donkeys have become horses; it is person's individuality and courage to make a difference that is sustaining the pace of development.

So, the people are a real change agent in most of the situations.

Leaders: Developing organizations Mission, Vision, Values

Role model for Ethics & Values

Stimulating and encouraging creativity

Process for stimulating improvements and implementing improvements to enabling approaches

Leaders being accessible actively listening, inspiring, uniting and responding to people

I strongly believe on the first point.

There is a famous quote stating - " A team of 100 donkeys with a king as Lion will outperform a team of 100 lions with a king as Donkey". The motivational power of a good leader gets transformed into the actions performed by his team members.