Muthu kumar1314164368

DMADV - DFSS/ Six Sigma In Research And Development/ Design/ New Product Introduction

New Product Introduction 

There is an entire roadmap for New Product Development in Six Sigma. This is referred as DFSS. (Design for Six Sigma). SJ or myself shall get back to you about details on Monday as I am moving out of office now. 

Warm Regards, 

VK

Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) is a Six Sigma methodology that is used to launch new products & services on time, on budget, and on target gaining incremental revenues sooner, achieving greater market share, and ensuring that the company generates differentiated products & services that target customer & stakeholder needs. DFSS methodology is most commonly used in New Product Development organizations.

There are several approaches to DFSS, but the most popular methodology is called DMADV. DMADV stands for "Define - Measure - Analyze - Design - Validate". The Define phase consists of defining the project charter which includes the business case and the opportunity for the new product or service. In the Measure phase, the needs of the key stakeholders are identified and measurable CTQs are developed. The Analyze phase consists of subsystem design and generating and selecting the best possible concepts. In the Design phase, a detailed design for the product or service is developed and optimized. The robustness of the design is ensured to minimize the impact of variation on performance of the product or service. Finally, in the Validate phase, the generated designs are verified and validated using simulation and other approaches.

Some of the tools covered in DMADV training are: Multi-Generational Project Plans (MGPP), Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP), Kano Analysis, Kansei Engineering, Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (TRIZ), Quality Function Deployment (QFD), Pugh Analysis, Multiple Regression Analysis, Fractional Design of Experiments, Taguchi Optimization, and Discrete Event Simulation methods.

DFSS is a powerful set of tools and techniques that can help you develop products and services that truly satisfy your key stakeholder needs. By adding this toolkit to your repertoire, you can demonstrate to your current or future employer that you understand how to not only reduce the bottom line costs using DMAIC but also develop robust products and services to increase top line growth using DFSS.

To add here, Six Sigma enthusiasts need to go through DMAIC GB and DMAIC BB before they consider DFSS BB. Most of the DMAIC content is valid and relevant in DFSS.

Some of you might be thinking that in DFSS we do not have historical data, so DMAIC tools should have limited application in DFSS. It is important to note that DFSS requires experiments and simulations many a time and therefore we need to know almost all DMAIC tools.  

Also, many of the powerful DFSS tools like FMEA and DOE are covered under DMAIC course as well. Let me know if there are any questions or comments? 

Hi,

Thanks, for information provided by you. Can you please, explain in brief for the following terms used by you.

"Multi-Generational Project Plans (MGPP), Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP), Kano Analysis, Kansei Engineering, Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (TRIZ), Quality Function Deployment (QFD), Pugh Analysis, Multiple Regression Analysis, Fractional Design of Experiments, Taguchi Optimization, and Discrete Event Simulation methods."

Regards,

G.E.

Let me briefly talk about one of the tools (MGPP). MGPP stands for Multi-Generational Project Plan. If you think of the NASA space program of landing a man on the moon, it was not achieved in one step or generation. There were several generations - the first generation (Mercury program) tested the capability of putting a life in sub-orbit and safely bringing it back to earth. The second generation consisted of testing spacecraft for extended periods of time in space with docking etc (Gemini program) and the third generation was used to land a man on the moon (Apollo program). (Ref: http://www.apollo-society.org/shootmoon.html )

Similarly, on Six Sigma projects that have significant scope, it is a good idea to break up the scope into multiple generations. An MGPP helps a team focus on the current generation and also plan for what is to come in the future generations. For more details, you may want to refer to a good book on DFSS.

Best Regards,

SJ

I find it a splendid clarification on the MGPP concept. It sounds like a strategic tool that is often used at High leadership level to mitigate risks - clearly putting in place significant milestone or releases part of a developing, for example a new hybrid or prototype for a new or existing business or process, something that is compelling, but not suitable for small projects of which during the starting point may not have concieve the desired capacity due to factors like funding, market reception, timing of trends & technologies and resources.

As a matter of fact, I believe panelist in our national cradle incubatorship will be impressed with the display of mgpp by candidates who approach for their seeding funds. 

However, i trust some MGPP could not carry through effectively due to changes in protocols related to leadership, feedback or discoveries were simply ignored in the subsequent generations.

Its another way of seeing the big picture in steps wise.

Its good that it finally found its way into Six Sigma. But the timing of incorporating the tool during Define-Measure or Control could be a task.

If we incorporate this into project tracking, different organization has either the sponsor or the BB/MBB to manage the releases.

From my other observation, TRIZ (www.aitriz.org) is best done in a group of diversified stakeholders. And i find its a separate thinking system on its own. We were coached to run it with the help of a software to facilitate the brainstorming session and to plot the potential solution outcome base on the Ashtuller's 40 principals.

Managing the entire process using DFSS and tools like TRIZ would ease very much if there is a mentor to coach as there are cornerstones which could provide valuable learning points only by the experienced eyes.

%DC

Hello SJ,

Great analogy for understanding MGPP. Would like to know more on tools for DFSS.Am sure will learn through your further discussions on the topic......Sripathy

Vanakkam & my pleasure SK,

I happen to learn it (TRIZ or Systematic Innovation) from Larry, the MBB of ex-Ford michigan, detroit (The innovation city of autocars), a retired head of reengineering and now a board of director in IDeation and retired from ASQ. We inherited as he uses software from Ideation (ideation-triz.com). But i later found more softwares like Creax (creax.com) which is also equally interesting. There could be more, but like any software, the essence is to see if they could support you remotely from your current workbench and provide intrinsic value to your search for the next breakthrough. 

I reckon that there are many schools around the globe who some runs by different  disciples of the late Altshuller whom his original research and documentation are consider classic TRIZ (before 1998). For better reference, i keep abreasts by log on to www.aitriz.org and discuss.

Dear Denison,

Vanakkam saar,

Thanks a lot for more on TRIZ. I have read a book on TRIZ, it is very interesting.  I love to improve upon these subjects. Would like to know more on DFSS. I will in touch through the forum and hope to learn a lot.

Thanks again...Sriapthy(SK)

Hi,

We are launching a new product and I am looking to use the MGPP tool to make it effective.

I am new to this and wanted to a starting point.

• If yes, Where can I learn the basics of MGPP ?
  • Which tool/software should I use to implement MGPP ?
  • Is MGPP the right tool to use to define and strategize the product ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Hardik Parikh

Dear Mr. Khatri,

Greetings!!!

We are planning to launch one school software related to Maths, for 2nd to 5th Standard. Can six sigma would be of any help to us, if yes then plz guide us.

Thanks & Regards,

Priyanka Sharma.

Dr P L Narasimhan

India

I happen to see the topic very late.

I like to share  my views in the discussion.

The starting point for the NPD process is the customer. Ascertain whether your product meet the expectation of the customer and where your product is positioned with respect to the competitor. Study your resources and  your core capability to meet the challenge. Then follow the DFSS methodology for the NPD process. The most important is to define the area of improvement . Find whether it can be done incrementally or as break through project. This depends on the time available to you and the position of the market share of your product. Form a team and narrow down the problem. Identify with select core team members as to the alternatives and solutions and fix the specification of the product to be produced. Follow the path of DFSS. DFSS only tells the methodology and  gives the tools and it is up to the team to bring the best alternative in a shortest cycle time.

narasimhan

Dear SJ,

MGPP seems to be a very interesting approach to generating a family of products too. A typical road map to product dominance in constantly changing markets could involve building better process capability within a process by using DMAIC tools that cater to ever improving design methods and designs and ever-reducing product cost per feature (within the reasonable bounds of what is possible for a certain design).

A question I have here is: how does one set the bar higher by using the DMAIC framework for product development projects where we are using DMADV, and how does one set expectations at the process level for such challenging product development projects?

--Rajesh S