Go to solution Solved by Rajender Prasad,

Methods-Time Measurement is a lean tool that can help determine the standard time required by an operator to complete a task. It focuses on the manual motions involved in the task and assigns them a predetermined time standard basis the influencing factors.

An application-oriented question on the topic along with responses can be seen below. The best answer was provided by Rajender Prasad on 30th Apr 2021. 

Congratulations to the winner.

Question

Q 360. Methods-time Measurement (MTM) helps determine the standard time in which a worker should complete the task. Explain MTM along with an example.

Note for website visitors - Two questions are asked every week on this platform. One on Tuesday and the other on Friday.

2 answers to this question

• Solution
Method-Time Measurement (MTM) methodology is an instrument to describe, configure, structure  and plan work systems through process-defined modules, in an effort to be efficient in production.
It may be used  wherever there is a need to plan, organize and accomplish a human task who wants an effective execution. 
It simply means; "the method determines its time".
For planning issues,  MTM methodology justifies the premise to "avoid costs instead of reducing them", which means, plan the  processes correctly by executing from the beginning without incurring any extra costs arising from the inefficiencies of the processes.

9 Method-Time Measurement's Basic Motion Elements
1)  Reach
When the pre-dominant purpose of the motion is to move fingers or hand to a general location or a destination.

The time for making a reach varies with the following factors:
Below factors makes the  reach to  vary;
(i) Condition (destination nature)
(ii) Motion Length
(iii) Type of reach:- i.e. whether movement of hands at the beginning or end of reach or not.

3 types of reach for consideration:
i) at beginning and at end of reach; hand is not moving 
ii) at either beginning or end of reach; hand moves.
iii) at both beginning and end of reach; hand is in motion 

2) Move
Move is most basic element deployed when the  pre-dominant purpose is to transport an object from one place to another place 

Move has three classes;
(i) Motion length which is governed in a way similar to reach.
(ii) Condition (destination nature) 
(iii) Move types which are similar as in ‘reach’

3) Turn
Turn is basic element employed when the hand, whether loaded or empty, is turned. Such movement rotates the wrist, hand, and forearm about the long axis of the forearm. 
The length of turn is measured by the degrees by which the  wrist, hand, and forearm  are turned from it's natural position. 
Turn time  depends on 2 variables;
(i) Turned degrees, 
(ii) Weight  factor

Turn time depends on weight of the object being turned with non-empty hand. 
Weight is classified in 3 categories:  i.e. small, medium and large 

4) Apply Pressure
Precise control is exerted when basic element is performed, which becomes as the distinct pause prior to performing subsequent elements, as below

5) Grasp
Performing basic element  when the main purpose is to secure sufficient control on 1 or more objects using fingers or  hand to allow next basic element to perform.
It will start when the preceding basic element ends and stops when the succeeding element starts. 

6) Position
Position is a basic element employed to align and engage 1 object with another object, where the motions used are very minor that they do not justify as other basic elements.
Position time is affected by;
(a) Class of fit; loose, close or Exact.
(b) Symmetrical, non symmetrical and semi-symmetrical.
(c) Ease of handling; easy or difficult to handle. 

7) Release
Release is the basic element to relinquish control of an object by fingers or hand.
2 types of release:
(i) Normal Release:  fingers are opened to let go the object.
(ii) Contact Release: this occurs and is completed when the following reach motion has started.

8) Disengage
Disengage is basic element used to break contact between 1 object and another. The objects will be separated away.
Disengage times relies upon:
a) Fit class
b) handling ease
c) handling care

9) Eye Times
Moving and focusing the eye, in most of work time isn't a limiting factor and consequently it does not affect operation time. 
2 types of eye times in MTM;
i) Eye Travel Time (ET) 
ii) Eye focus Time (EF).

Eye focus time; time required to focus the eyes on an object and look at it long enough to identify certain distinguishable characteristics within the area which may be seen without shifting the eyes. 
Eye travel time; is the distance between points from which the eye travel and it's perpendicular distance from the eye to the travel-line.