Sign in to follow this  
arahalim

Box Plot Question

Need your input/advice on this Median of the Box plot which I crunched. This data is temperature data which I had measured (Hot to Cold temp) and I only took the range between 15 minutes data with the interval log at 10sec. Base on this both the mean varies and if I see the Q1 on both graph:

1. Slot 6 is more 21.8 compare to Slot 2 i.e 10.29. Since the temperature data I captured varies from +85C to -75C and the data log for every 10 seconds, is this make sense in terms of derivative an issue taking into account on the variable which varies?

1. Secondly does it really a concern on the whisker since these Box Plot are in negative skewed.
  2. Thirdly I understand that if could crunched the Box Plot in a positive Quartile, that would be better. What about this negative skewed? Thx

Temp_Boxplot.thumb.jpg.4ddf580dc7fcfefd4fb3ce82f07b2d6a.jpg

Hello

Could you please share your data basis which the box plots were crunched?

Also, what is the purpose of the study? Why are you using a box plot?

The study is basically to understand the Slot performance in terms of temperature. We have a total of 6 Slot and what I observed was SLot 1,2 and 3 does not exceed the temperature limits whereas Slot 4,5 and 6 kind of different behavior. Enclose also the data that I crunched and the reason why I use Box Plot is because the temperature data varies from -75C to +85C. I was told from the lean expert that box plot is the tool that tell me the Slot performance when performing a temperature study. Probably you have better suggestion that what I am doing and some proposal. Thanks

raw Data.xlsx

Hello

Looking at the data and the requirements, below is my recommendation

1. Your data shows temperature can go below -75C and also above 85C. This is evident from both the raw data file and also the specific data that you used for box plot

2. Your lean expert is right, box plot can help you check the performance and basis the analysis for Slot 2 and Slot 3 show a similar trend. Refer the diagram below

image.png

So Gupta based on this Box Plot what can you rule out between these 2 SLots. I know this is a negative skewed with Q3 at Slot 6 and the upper value  the same compared to SLot 2 Q3 is 86.6 while the upper value at the whisker is 91.4. Do you think these 2 slots data acceptable?

Hello

Looking at the box plots, one will conclude that the temperature of both slots is similar. I will not be able to comment on whether these temperatures are acceptable or not as I do not know about the particular process.

How does the Box Plot calculated the max number since the data that I had varies. If the maximum data for example had 3 different maximum limits, which will be the once selected by Box plot and determined as Q3 or Q1 (form minimum data)?

Box plot calculates the maximum value from the data itself. One data set cannot have 3 different maximum values. The maximum value might be occurring three times in the data set, but it will be the same value that occurs again. Imagine it like this, in an exam, there could be 3 toppers. In this case all 3 of them got the same marks.