Sign in to follow this  
Vishwadeep Khatri

Lean Six Sigma In Paper Industry

The paper industry is exposed to challenges like increased demands for customized products, customer delivery times and changes in customer schedules. All this has lead to an increased pressure on the prices as well as the margins. Over the years the paper industry is faced with the problem of high energy costs with a lot of energy getting consumed in drying the paper. Six Sigma tools like DOE have been used to reduce the energy costs by identifying, optimizing and controlling the input variables like temperature of the heaters, speed of the fan and the distance of the fan from the paper. Once the best combination of Input variables is attained energy costs can be reduced. Some other examples of Lean Six Sigma application in Paper Industry are:

• Ensuring timely availability of raw material by improving underlying processes
  • Reducing cost of production
  • Minimizing waste and scrap
  • Improving the overall quality of production
  • Improving the paper machine efficiency and Ensuring effective use of new technology to modernize manufacturing infrastructure.

Dear Vishwadeep,

I am basically a paper technologist from I.I.T. Roorkee (IPT Saharanpur Campus). I have 18 Years of Experience in paper industry in marketing; research; production; quality assurance and customer service. Apart from this I have successfully completed two six sigma black belt certifications and one six sigma green belt certification. Also I have attended an ISO 9001 lead auditor course and an ISMS 27001/2005 Internal Auditor Course. After completion of the six sigma certifications I have successfully completed five six sigma projects for a few small and medium sized paper industries. I have contributed a few number of six sigma tools/templates developed in MS Excel which have been posted on www.sixsigmaforum.com (An off shoot of American Society for Quality). My two tools Especially AHP Matrix and Customer Satisfaction Index are very useful in estimation of customer satisfaction and loyalty along with the Marketing CTQ's the customers require and the Critical To Customer Satisfaction Indices. I would like to share brief presentations on:

1. Project For Reducing Customer Complaints in Paper Industry(Example).

2. Project For Reducing Defect Rates in Paper Industry(Example).

3. Project to Improve Drying Efficiency and Improving Machine Run ability(Example)

Also I am keen to share some six sigma tools and templates that I have developed in Microsoft Excel especially for the paper industry.

Please Let me Know How to Post these on benchmark 6ix sigma

Regards,

Aseem Sharma

B.Sc./B.E.(Pulp and Paper)/CSSBB(Twice)/CSSGB/ISO/ISMS

Dear Aseem, 

You can send the tools, papers for publishing on this platform. We shall ensure their correct placement and visibility so that people can benefit by these. 

Also, in the the new website that is under development, we shall be having an article library in the knowledge center section. We shall be updating the tools in the right section once we upgrade. 

Best Regards, 

VK

Dear Vishwadeep,

I have just now uploaded a power point presentation of a six sigma black belt project on reducing number of customer complaints which i have completed for a medium sized paper mill. The name of the ppt file is 'SIX SIGMA PROJECT 1(PULP AND PAPER MANUFACTURING).ppt. It is a presentation that involve the view of how to evaluate and address problems in paper industry as the variations by nature are enormously large. I would say that this presentation is just an eye opener on how to apply the six sigma DMAIC Road Map to reduce variations in the existing processes of any paper industry. I would like to say It's just the beginning and slowly i will share with the members of benchmark 6ix sigma, all work that i have done for the implementation and deployment of six sigma in paper industry.

With Deep Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear Aseem,

I feel quite impressed about your using Six Sigma effectively for paper industry.Being a Chemical Engineer form IIT. I think it will be Good Idea to extend the concept effectively thru your expertise to other Chemical Industries.

Dear Kishan,

Welcome to the discussion. As I have been discussing with Vishwadeep regarding six sigma in paper industry, it's really interesting and even more interesting are its applications. Yes, I agree, not to mention that it is not uncommon regarding what you have mentioned about chemical industries. Almost all chemical industries whether it is drugs, pharmacy, food processing, fertilizers or paper all are governed by mandatory government safety, statutory, regulatory and environmental requirements. But not to mention, all government safety, statutory, regulatory and environmental bodies are key stakeholders for any organization (Not to Mention Chemical Industries). Also most of the NGO's in the locality of the industry are also its key stakeholders. This is because most of the chemical industries like paper; fertilizers have to follow mandatory pollution abatement laws. Now in six sigma as we know conducting a stakeholder analysis for internal customers is a mandatory requirement. For a specific Green Belt or Black Belt Project on an existing process, we conduct a stakeholder analysis for people and concerned departments who are affected by the project and for team members on the team. Not to mention for a Total Organization - Wide deployment of six sigma which taes three to five years we need to consider these stakeholders.

I am directly coming to the point that in Chemical Industries like paper the processes are defined by multiple variables and it is difficult to identify the key indicators or the critical x's inducing variation in the y's. If the process knowledge is poor then in the beginning the team might identify 50 - 60 such critical to process parameters called the CTP's and often it becomes difficult to screen out the vital few CTP's. After defining and scoping the project on an existing process, we use tools like Enhanced SIPOC and QFD CT Matrix to reduce the large number (50 - 60 CTP's) to a few 15 - 16 CTP's. This is done by relating the VOC to the CTP's and extensive brainstorming by the team. Then using Multivariate Analysis and Regression Analysis we screen them further down to 6 - 7. Thereafter we use either fractional factorials or Plackett - Burman designs to screen them down to 3 -4 . Now we use Full Factor DOE to find the key indicators and then optimize using RSA/RSM or EVOP. However, while doing this entire exercise we strictly follow the DMAIC Road Map. First of all we use Enhanced SIPOC in the Define Phase. Then after estimating the baseline performance in the Measure Phase we use QFD CT Matrix. Next in the Analysis Stage we perform Regression Analysis and Multivariate Analysis after stabilizing these vital few CTP's and find the root cause and formulate root cause theories. We identify the key indicators (The Red X, The Pink X and The Pale Pink X) and optimize in the Improve Stage and suggest and implement Improvement Solutions. Then next in the Control Phase we make risk mitigation plans, action plans and control plans, standardize the process, lay down standard operating procedures and make process audit system so that the problem does not recur and finally hand it over to the process owner. This is some brief on how to carry out six sigma projects in Chemical Industries be it drugs, pharmacy, food processing, fertilizers or paper. This is what my experience has been while carrying out six sigma projects in paper industry.

I am still continuing with my discussion. To share my knowledge and experience with all the members on this discussion forum, I will contribute all my learnings, my projects and especially some six sigma statistical tools that I have developed in MS - Excel.

So, First of all to start with I am uploading three files in MS - Word Format entitled:

1. Why How and What of Six Sigma Part 1.

2. Why How and What of Six Sigma Part 2.

3. Why How and What of Six Sigma Part 3.

After this I will post a ppt presentation on What a Six Sigma Organization is, a presentation on History and Basics of Six Sigma and a Presentation on one of my Six Sigma project on "Reducing Defect Rate in Paper Industry".

Please do post a reply and your comments on this, and send your comments on this without being modest. Waiting for an Earnest Reply.

With Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear Sir,

This is one good move. Six Sigma in Paper Industry and Chemical manufacturing industries will be tough job to be taken. As mentioned by Mr Aseem,  it is having many constraints. We are a 360TPD pulp and paper mill going in the path of SS from 2006. Now we are at 3 sigma. If this knowledge sharing done it will be useful for all who will get courage to start SS in their industries.

Best wishes,

k venugopal

Dear Kishan, VK and sktvijey

I was expecting and earnest reply from your side. Anyhow, we move ahead with the discussion. First of all I would like to write some brief on Stakeholders.

What is Important?

• Stakeholder Management is critical to the success of six sigma implementation and deployment for every organization.

What is a Stakeholder?

• A Stakeholder is any group (e.g. Governmental Safety, Statutory, Regulatory and Environmental bodies) or individuals that are affected by your work, who have influence or power over it and have an interest in its successful or unsuccessful implementation.

Overall although stakeholders may be both organizations (as Governmental Safety, Statutory, Regulatory and Environmental bodies) and people - ultimately we must communicate with people. We have to make sure that we identify the correct STAKEHOLDERS.

Now as mentioned in the previous discussion I am uploading two ppt presentations which are on some very basics on:

• A SIX SIGMA ORGANIZATION.

• SIX SIGMA PROJECT ON REDUCING DEFECT RATES (An example from paper industry).

Enjoy reading them and going through them. For me it is really a matter of pride to be on the discussion forum of benchmark 6ix sigma and to be with all of you.

Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear Venugopal.

It's good to hear from you. You are welcome to the discussion with us. It is really exciting to know that SPB Erode is deploying Six Sigma since 2006. I will really like to share your experience on Six Sigma in Paper Industry. If you have any sample Projects you can upload them. My way of doing Six Sigma and the approach is quite different. I never use any costly softwares for Six Sigma Projects in Paper Industry. I just use Microsoft - Excel built in tools and functions and some Templates developed in MS - Excel. As you have mentioned that SPB is currently operating at a Process Sigma Rating of 3.0 Sigma. This is your baseline performance level. Actually companies operating at a level of 3.0 to 4.0 sigma do not survive for long. However, to Improve the Process Sigma Using Lean and Six Sigma approach is very difficult and requires meticulously carried out tremendous efforts. Even reaching 4.5 to 5.0 sigma is enough(Where the Real Gains Actually start showing up). Even sustaining the improved performance level is again very difficult. Will you please let me know your problems and the method how you reached the calculation of 3.0 sigma as your baseline performance level. To let you know I have devloped a tool in MS Excel entitled TPY-RTY-NORMY (Exposing The Hidden Factory) using which one can calculate the baseline performance of the existing process.

Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear Mr Aseem Sharma / Mr VK,

First of all I thank you for the response from you which is healthy to this industry in general. However, here in our organisation, we have one paid consultant for the implementation for guidance and training, I can afford limited information on this ongoing strategy. But  I can upload some presentations which show light to take up SS in paper manufacturing companies.

Thank you and come back soon.

Regards

k venugopal

Dear Sirs

SS can be calculated from the improvement in key result indicators directly related to the profit of the organisation.

Paper mills have a lot of constraints which cannot be optimized fully in all areas of production as well as marketing etc..

Hence, first step, we can choose the major areas of operation such as production, service & utilities,maintenance and marketing. 

Next, we will fix them what are all the process parameters which are key to profit-making.

In this list, we can get some 20 numbers. Current performance status to be consolidated. Create a benchmark. Fix some targets which are simple to attain.

The errors or gaps or rejections or loss of finished products  or complaints are measured with respect to total outcomes is now say, 7%. Then we are at 93% level...that is 3 sigma level.

Now I expect your response on this.

I will come back soon.

Thanks and regards,

k venugopal

Dear Venugopal,

Welcome Back. It's great to hear from you again. It's is really a matter of deep concern regarding six sigma in paper industry. I do not say that I am an expert but I have put some effort for this. You need not share the key activities and projects that are going on in SPB, Erode. As I have mentioned I would like to share one of my six sigma project on "Reducing Number Of Complaints in Paper Industry" . Actually Projects of the kind as - Reducing Number of Customer Complaints are reactive kind of projects that provide immediate gains. The Projects of the kind - "Reducing Number Of Complaints" Or "Reducing Defect Rates" are Low Hanging Fruits. Initially when Reactive Projects are large the Project Hit Rate is Low and the Cost Of Quality (COQ) is High. However, as the reactive projects are reduced the Project Hit Rate Start Increasing. The Real Test Of Six Sigma Begins when the number of reactive projects start decreasing and the Proactive Type Of Projects Start. The Project Hit Rate Start Increasing and the Cost Of Quality(COQ) reduces sharply. Now as you have mentioned that your Opreating Process Sigma Level is 3.0 it means the Normalized Yield is 93.3% which is very low. Soon we will be discussing how to increase the Normalized Yield and Process Sigma. I will upload a project on "Reducing Number of Customer Complaints" and a ppt Presentation on "History and Basics of Six Sigma". Meanwhile if possible you can download few six sigma templates that I have contributed to www.sixsigmaforum.com

The Templates are simple to use and can be accessed by becoming a member of ASQ. I will contribute these Templates to benchmark 6ix sigma also soon. Also you can refer to the MS - Word documents and ppt presentations that I have uploaded in the file cabinet of benchmark 6ix sigma

Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear Aseem,

You have provided useful inputs on the way Six Sigma is being deployed in this industry. The details you have shared are applicable to a larger audience in process industry (and not just paper and pulp)

Best Regards,

Vishwadeep Khatri

Dear VK/Kishan/SKT Vijey and Venugopal,

I am carrying out the discussion forward. To be very frank my Area of Application of Six Sigma in Paper Industry has been specifically limited to production, quality, research and marketing only and my major projects are in the area of production. So here comes my first project which has been carried out only in MS - Excel(No Costly Softwares Used). By these files one can easily observe that how much powerful is MS - Excel a tool to carry out Six Sigma Projects. For This I have recently uploaded a folder consisting of 5 to 6 MS Excel Files regarding my first Six Sigma Project in Paper Industry. The Project is very old but is an eye opener for Paper Industry.

With Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear Vishwadep,

Hi! How are you all?. Sorry to be back again. As Promised Today I am Uploading a ppt Presentation on "History and Basics Of Six Sigma". It is a plain and simple presentation on Six Sigma and I hope every one will enjoy going through it.

Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Dear VK,

Today I am uploading my Second Project which is also carried out in MS - Excel. The Project is an eye opener on how to minimize defect rates in paper and pulp industry. The Project consists of five workbooks whose status is given below:

• Project 2 Stage 1 The Define Stage or The SMART Gate - 13 Worksheets.
  • Project 2 Stage 2 The Measure Stage or The Baseline Gate - 27 Worksheets.
  • Project 2 Stage 3 The Analysis Stage or The Diagnostic Gate - 43 Worksheets.
  • Project 2 Stage 4 The Improve Stage or The Optimize Gate - 16 Worksheets.
  • Project 2 Stage 5 The Control Stage or The Stability Gate - 3 Worksheets.

Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Project 2 Stage 1 The Define Stage or The SMART Gate.xls

Project 2 Stage 2 The Measure Stage or The Baseline Gate.xls

Project 2 Stage 3 The Analysis Stage Or The Diagnostic Gate.xls

Project 2 Stage 4 The Improve Stage Or The Diagnostic Gate.xls

Project 2 Stage 5 The Control Stage Or The Stability Gate.xls

Dear Vishwadeep,

I hoped for an earnest feedback and comments on two of my Projects (Project 1 and Project 2 carried out in Microsoft Excel). Honestly, It will be kind of all the members sharing this topic to revert back with a feedeback without being modest (e.g. reporting flaws and errors on the Methodology and Tools used). Presently, Today I am uploading a very small ppt presentation on qualities of a six sigma black belt.

With Deepest Regards,

Aseem Sharma

On 11/30/2010 at 1:36 PM, aseparthpk said:

Dear Vishwadeep,

I have just now uploaded a power point presentation of a six sigma black belt project on reducing number of customer complaints which i have completed for a medium sized paper mill. The name of the ppt file is 'SIX SIGMA PROJECT 1(PULP AND PAPER MANUFACTURING).ppt. It is a presentation that involve the view of how to evaluate and address problems in paper industry as the variations by nature are enormously large. I would say that this presentation is just an eye opener on how to apply the six sigma DMAIC Road Map to reduce variations in the existing processes of any paper industry. I would like to say It's just the beginning and slowly i will share with the members of benchmark 6ix sigma, all work that i have done for the implementation and deployment of six sigma in paper industry.

With Deep Regards,

Aseem Sharma

Hi Aseem;

It is a pleasure for me to hear that you have some usefull excel and powerpoint files for lean six sigma aplications in paper industry. Could you please share these  files by email. If yes please send them to my email savci@kipaskagit.com.tr 

Thanks for efforts and helps.

With my best regards.

Selami AVCI