Sign in to follow this  
Binith Nair

ISO, CMMI And Six Sigma Methodologies

Hi All,

How can i differenciate ISO, CMMI and Six Sigma between each other by their

1) primary & secondary Objectives

2) Methodologies

3) Certification process

I have gone through many documents and processess but i hardly able to explain the same to a layman since i'm not an expert.

Hi Binith,

A detailed explanation of differences is not possible to write here due to limitations of time and space. To put it in simple words ISO,CMMI & Six Sigma are primarily 3 distinct approaches for improving Quality of Products and Services by organizations.

1) ISO 9001 2008 : 

Scope : This International Standard Specifies requirements for a Management system where an organization

a) Needs to demonstrate its ability to provide product that meets customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements and

B) Aims to enhance customer satisfaction through the effective application of the system including processes for continual improvement of the system and the assurance of conformity to customer and applicable statutory and  regulatory requirements.

It is a generic standard & can be applied to many types of industries /organization e.g. Manufacturing , Service, Healthcare , Banking , Process etc . regardless of type of product / service and size of organization.

Compliance to requirements of ISO 9001 2008 is periodically checked , audited & certified by an competent , independent third party agency e.g. TUV, BVQI etc.

2) Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) is a process improvement  approach whose goal is to help organizations to improve their performance. CMMI can be used to guide process improvement across a project, a division, or an entire organization.

CMMI stands for Capability Maturity Model Integration and it is a process improvement maturity model that has been developed by the Software Engineering Institute, SEI, at Carnegie Mellon. CMMi defines what Processes and Activities need to be done and not how these processes and activities are done. This is because "Operational part " and implemention ( how to do it ? ) is left to the organization.

The goal of CMMi is process improvement and CMMi can be thought of as a Software Process Improvement, SPI, framework. 

CMMI is not a generic standard like ISO 9001 2008. CMMI has 5 capability maturity levels

CMMI 0 = Incomplete ,  CMMI 1 = Performed , CMM 2 = Managed , CMMI 3 = Defined ,  CMMI 4 = Quantitively managed &  CMMI 5 = Optimizing.

Compliance to requirements of CMMI is periodically checked , audited & certified by an competent , independent third party agency e.g. TUV, BVQI etc.

3) Six Sigma : Since you are a membar of Benchmark Six sigma there is no need for me to tell you about what is six sigma.

Certification : One basic difference in ISO 9001 2008, CMMI & Six Sigma is that organizations are audited and certified for ISO 9001 2008 and CMMI whereas in Six Sigma qualified people (GBs, BBs & MBBs) identify projects and work for the organization for achieving desired (ideally 6 sigma levels i.e. reducing defect levels to 3.4 /million). Organizations may achieve a six sigma level but it will not be certified by any external agency. 

Hope this basic information helps you to understand the differences in ISO 9001 2008, CMMI & Six Sigma. Much more information is available on the internet. If you go through it you will have a very clear idea of the differences betwen the three.

Regards

Aniruddha

Thanks Mr. Aniruddha,

I was also not aware of CMMI. Which are the organisations which provide trainings on CMMI? Can it be implemented in every type of organisation like manufacturing, service, IT, Banking, Engineering etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sachin.

Hi Sachin,

Answers to your questions are given below.

A. Which are the organisations which provide trainings on CMMI?

To the best of my knowledge there are 19 companies in North America , 14 companies in Europe and 15 companies in Asia which impart training in CMMI to software companies who want to pursue excellence in their business processes.

I have all the details but due to limitations of time and space I am only indicating numbers for Asian countries.

China (1) , India (7) , Japan (1) , Malaysia (2) , Saudi Arabia (1) , Singapore (1) , United Arab Emirates (2)

7 Indian companies are WIPRO, DQS India , QAI Asia, Nihilant, CyberQ Consulting, Trimentus and Allied Boston Consulting.

B. Can it be implemented in every type of organisation like manufacturing, service, IT, Banking, Engineering etc.

In my note above I have mentioned that CMMI is not a generic standard like ISO 9001 2008. It is primarily meant for software companies.

As per my information following companies in India have achieved a CMMI 5 level as of now i.e. July 2011. There may be more companies which I may not be aware of.

Cognizant Technology Solutions, Infosys , L & T Infotech Ltd, Mastek Limited , NIIT, Software Solutions , Patni Computer Systems Limited , Satyam Computer Services Limited, Sonata Software Limited , Syntel , Siemens Information Systems Limited., Tata Consultancy Services , Tata Elxsi Limited , Tata Interactive Systems , Wipro Technologies Software Paradigms International.

Pursuing excellence in Business processes and achieving a CMMI level is an organizational level decision and there are formal ways to achieve certification.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Regards

Aniruddha

Hi All,

ISO is standard where any organisation can be certified.

9001:2008 for Infrastructure(if companies concentrates on infrastructure)

27001:Information security management system

OHSAS etc.

CMMI:

Its a framework which gives best practices for improving process to quality and orgnisation objectives.

CMMI have different categories

CMMI for software development(CMMI development latest version is 1.3)

CMMI for services(Latest version is CMMI services v1.2)

CMMI for acquisition

Normally CMMI services used in BPO and service oriented companies(in telecommunications also)

SIX sigma:

Its a philosophy,management system ,statistical approach.

DMAIC and DMAIDV are most important concepts helps in engineering or reengineering the process.

For CMMI ther certification process follows like below

1.SCAMP B and C appraisals by consultant(internal or external)

2.Finding the gaps and applying RACI matrix to complete actions

3.SCAMP A appraisal from SEI certified Lead appraiser

4.Finally certification signed by lead appraiser

regards,

-bala-