Sign in to follow this  
Seena Biju

How To Map The Six Sigma Strategy

Hi... I need some direction on how to map the stragtegis used in Six sigma to study a phenomenon. Essentially, what should be the checkpoints? Say for example a typical scientific research will include literature review, looking for gaps in the study, suggesting alternatives to fill the gap, validating the same with simulated or real data, reporting the findings. Can this be mapped on to the DMAIC process. What could be the similarities and differences in the two approach.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks

Seena Biju

UAE

Hi Seena,

When you talk about a phenomenon, I refer this to any change observed in a process. Hence without and change in external factors there could not be change in a ongoing process.

Six Sigma could be refrred to as a project driving a specific change with defined timellines. You will have identify a common path for both the approches. For this you need ot have sound knowledge or SME support from both approch you are looking at.

Reading your example, it can ben said that this process could be mapped on DMAIC process. For this you have to first listdown all the process activities and then identify the similar six sigma tools and techniques having similar process and output.

Hope it helps...

Nirankar

Dear Nirankar,

Thank you. I see the point in a generic research process being very similar to the DMAIC strategy. The idea of my study is to look for the concurrency in the Six sigma approach to assess process quality in comparison to any general research methodology. As stated by you, I agree that it would be best to list all the process activities and then map it to those suggested in the six sigma approach.

Qn: If the objective of a project is not necessariy monetory( though it may be in the long run), can a partial mapping of the six sigma process be made and justified accordingly?

Seena

Hi Seena,

There is no direct linkage of the monetary benefits accruing out of a project to the mapping of Six Sigma tools. Sometimes there are project which do not yield direct financial benefits, like CSAT, process streamlining, etc.You can use the six sigma tools which really help your project.

Yes, justification comes only in place where any tool used is not helping drive any conclusions. This should not be inferred as the tools is not useful, rather it is possible that methodology of the tool has not be been used appropriately.

Kick start the project move ahead and look for tools as and when needed.

Nirankar