I observed that the scope of six sigma has increased it is now applicable in many industrial sectors. When Bill Smith created this methodology his main focus was defect reduction and improvement which brings excellence and process improvement, later on Quality formed the core of other methodology/framework too.
I have seen that the approach of employees toward quality management has not yet changed, they still consider this as the job of quality unit, as for them quality means compliance, reporting, QMS manual and most importantly Audits. I found that organizations are spending good amount of money in quality related training/workshops/paperwork etc. but still are not successful in changing the approach of individuals. At high level, every organizationâ€™s policy talks about quality and its importance but at ground level due to fixed processes, departmentalized structure it become a task of small number of people, like managers and specifically of those who belongs to quality department, since itâ€™s their job.
Induction program- By definition an induction program is an important process for bringing staff into an organization. It provides an introduction to the working environment and the set-up of the employee within the organization. An induction program is part of an organizations knowledge management process and is intended to enable the new starter to become a useful, integrated member of the team.
But I believe now organizations have a need to adopt a new approach of induction program:
- Organizations should provide Process Excellence/Quality training to each and every employee at the time of induction, this training they can design as per the requirements of their LOB (Line of Business).
- Also when induction of an employee gets conducted at that time we can tell employee that they are suppose to share their views (positive or negative) after six months from now about quality of process/operation to which they belongs (preferably through a presentation) so that this training of quality not become just a training and they feel involved with the things they have learned.
This kind of treatment at induction will make employee responsible for his own quality as well as quality of his team and organization.
Why this should be done at induction program because when we start with induction:
1. The new employee will feel himself linked with the quality department.
2. This will make new employee feel that he is responsible for the quality of operation to which he belongs.
3. This will convey a message to employee that organization has a serious approach towards quality.
This approach will bring mutual benefits and this also links with the high level objective of each and every organization that is â€œalignment of individual objectives with organizationâ€™s objectiveâ€.
Now the question comes since induction is for new employee what will happen to those who are already working? For this we need not to do anything but to ask them to attend this â€œQuality sessionâ€ which we are conducting for new employees and they can join this from there and then.
I believe that each and every individual should feel himself responsible for quality and there is a need to make quality a routine habit rather than an event.