Lean Six Sigma in Operations
Business operations are those ongoing recurring activities involved in the running of a business for the purpose of producing value for the stakeholders. They are contrasted with project management, and consist of business processes.
Business change managers are responsible for bridging the gap between the projects and business operations.
Case Study Description
Subir Patra, explains how he has enjoyed every bit of his career with Lean Six Sigma projects and assignments.
At a beverage unit, it was noted that increase in productivity was critical for reaching the year 2010 business goal of cost reduction. The blending process had not been able to meet its volumes target since March 2007. If productivity is increased to 3 cartons per hour, it could result in increase of margins by $54,000 p.a. Hence, there was an urgent requirement to increase productivity.
The higher the productivity, the better the function is able to insulate itself from unexpected staffing challenges and/ or unexpected spikes in volumes.
A Lean Six Sigma project was launched. A value stream map was used as the key tool. Cycle time versus Takt time study showed imbalance at various steps of blending. Layout changes, speed changes were initiated. Labelling complexities were reduced through a high level of standardization. The process improvement initiative had a significant impact on the Business goals. One month of persistent effort in Six Sigma project resulted in significant improvement in monthly volumes. Subsequently, the year 2010 volume targets were met.
Feedback from participants
The course content & the tutor were simply the best.
– Harshad Jain, Head Operations, C-Tech India
I have learned a lot of Six sigma processes/steps from this course since the facilitator has provided good training along with his practical experiences.
– Othisamy Sadaiyappa Gounder, Module Lead- Operations Engineering, Ciena Learning Solutions
Benchmark Six Sigma will not only help in improving your business process skills but will also be helpful in managing your life with more sophisticated or well structured processes. I learned a structure framework for process improvement
– Rishi Chahal, Operations Manager, Rasilant Technologies
I was really impressed by the course content & topics covered in the training.
– Harshad L. Jain, Head Operations, C Tech India
“Thanks to Benchmark for enhancing my knowledge and to give a direction to my career.”
– Rishi Chahal, Operations Manager, Rasilant Technologies
Benchmark Six Sigma is truly a benchmark when it comes to Six Sigma training. The length and breadth of the topics covered, the knowledge and quality of instructors and most importantly their desire to make you understand Six Sigma rather than merely a certificate is simply mind-blowing!
– P. Vinay Bharadwaj, Operations Analyst, HP Globalsoft.
The Course material and the presentation skills were amazing.
– Thinakaran D: Team Lead (Operations), OKS Span Tech Pvt Ltd
The syllabus was the best part of this program
– Sripriya Kandadai, Manager Operations, InterPro Global Pvt. Ltd.
I would recommend Benchmark to my friends and relatives due to the high standards of Benchmark and knowledge of the facilitator. The examples provided during the training were very much relevant to the day-to-day activities, and enabled us to understand every topic very clearly.
– Mridula Madhavan, Assistant Manager -Operations, HSBC Data Processing India Pvt Ltd.
The training delivered by the faculty was interactive and informative at the same time. The sessions were well paced, the material was user friendly and the training delivery was awesome!
– Shweta Juneja, Operations Manager, Mckinsey & Co.
Well designed course material. On completion of the course it gives a good confidence to implement and practice six sigma in our company.
– Kirupa Mohandoss, GM Operations, Core Design and Product Development
The programs offered by Benchmark Six Sigma are truly brilliant and equip you with a bouquet of statistical tools to address just about any past ailment, present pain area, futuristic initiative at the workplace.
– Payal Dhar, AVP Operations, Infoedge India Ltd
The facilitator kept everyone involved throughout the workshop. Six Sigma involves statistics and most of us being from a non statistical background would have found it very difficult but the facilitator’s way of using real life scenarios to apply the various fundamentals made it really easy.It was one of the most entertaining and educative workshops that I have undergone in my work life. I feel enriched.
– Khalid Nadim, Operations Co-ordinator, Google India Pvt. Ltd.
“From nothing to something,” this is what I have become after this course. The Instructor was very informative as well as entertaining.
– Canute D’souza, Logistics Analyst & Operations Manager, Al Masa IT Distribution FZCO
Good learning exercise to improve ones own processes.
– Sudheer Neelakandan, Manager Central Operations, UAE Exchange
Excellent training. Very intensive course with lots of information.
– Excellent training. Very intensive course with lots of information.
It has been a wonderful experience being part of the Black belt training at Benchmark. The training approach of explaining concepts, to exercises, to real life case studies; has been one of its kind. Overall a highly satisfying experience. Highly recommended for the people involved in any problem solving activities.
– Karan Narang, Manager – Operations, VWR Lab Product Pvt. Ltd.
Statistical tools covered in order to test and analyze the data. Trainer’s knowledge is appreciable. Yes. ” Anyone who is serious about Six Sigma should go through this course”
– Feroz Beg, Manager – Operations, HSBC
Amazing industry experience of the facilitator really helped us with the real time examples given to relate to the concepts.
– Anish Paul Gogumalla, Manager- Operations, Knoah Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Training was the best, the facilitator knows what he is talking and what the trainees expect. This training session has been completely a different experience for me and what I have learnt in these 4 days would be something that I would carry a long way. Thank you!!
– Priya Jairam, Operations Manager, Global Support and Services.