The foundation of any quality improvement is to create a culture of quality or mindset within the organization and integrate it throughout the company. Quality culture begins with leadership that understands and believes the implications of the systems view and knows the necessity of serving customers in order to succeed. Such a culture naturally lays emphasis on continuous quality improvement and results in a workplace with healthy environment, customer satisfaction, and a developing, profit yielding company.
To develop quality culture among the organization, the focus should be on 5 main ingredients for quality culture:
- A mentality of “we’re all in this together”: The focus should be to work for the welfare of everyone in the company. The goal should be consistent good for every employee of every level.
- Open, honest communication is vital: A culture must be created where people listen to one another and truth-telling and be encouraged.
- Information is accessible: Information must be shared openly by business leaders about the company’s strategic goals. This gives direction for what needs to be done next and how to incorporate quality improvement.
- Focused on processes: No individual must be blamed for problems rather the attitude must find faults in the process and fix it.
- There are no successes or failures, just learning experiences: Failure or success of an effort cannot be predicted. Therefore, the attitude to give your best at all times helps in scaling mountains