Sign in to follow this  
nirmalravindran

Six Sigma in NGOs

Hi,

I read somewhere that six sigma projects can be done at NGOs. I would like to know what kind of six sigma projects can be done in NGOs. Has anyone done a project in a NGO? If so can you please help me in identifying projects at a NGO.

Thanks in advance,

Nirmal

Dear Nirmal,

NGOs that work with donated funds have an obligation to use the funds appropriately. This requires that they keep costs low, reach more beneficiaries, deliver more verifiable results (or ensure minimum possible expenditure to realize objectives). NGO's also need to ensure that there are no misappropriation of funds or resources. Another common objective NGO's have is to obtain good feedback from beneificiary groups. 

Realization of the above objectives lead to more funding and growth of NGO. Any of these objectives can be converted into a Six Sigma project. 

The senior people in the NGO themselves need to identify a focus area that relates to their mission, break into a workable improvement project and use the DMAIC/ DMADV roadmap to realize the improvement.

Whether it is Goevernment or Non Government, Private enterprise or Public organization, companies have their objectives about efficient utilization of resources. Six Sigma concepts are equally applicable everywhere. 

Educational Universities, Postal Department, Military in US have been applying Six Sigma tools for fulfillng social objectives. You may like to do a google search for these to get some good examples.