Sign in to follow this  
Priya Oberoi

Implementation Of Fmea

Anil,

Here is the information I shared with Priya.

Vishwadeep,

If you see anything that I have missed which are big gaps, please correct me. Obviously a lot of details one learns with practical application.

If this is the first time you are going to implement/facilitate documenting of a system FMEA, (as I am involved in my current job) please ensure you have agreed with a sponsor and process owner that to get a quality output, it will take time. I also feel a facilitator should only challenge the group by asking questions and not imposing his/her opinion.

I am in the process of documenting 2 FMEA on specific issues identified by the management in an organization that I have joined 2.5 months back. Examples I have seen from other projects do not tell me that the author of those FMEA's understood how to use the tool and document it.

One of my FMEA is almost complete but the team has met for 6 weeks, 2-3 times for anywhere between 1-2 hours. To complete it and identify improvement it will take team another 2 meetings 2-3 hours long.

Simple method is to talk to operators (process experts) and include supervisor or manager (process owner) to be present during your meeting.

1. Create a detailed process map using block and arrow diagram and what can go wrong at each step (failure mode)

2. Identify inputs and outputs for each block in the process map and identify for each input and output who is the customer and supplier (item by item). This is also called SIPOC (Supplier, Input, Process, Output, and Customer) diagram.

3. Identify each input as Controllable (operator will ensure the level or setting based on experience), Noise (cannot be managed by operator or machine) and Standard (have to follow Standard Operating procedure) and rank each input using 1,3,7, 10 for importance to specific output.

4. Use Ishikawa/Fishbone/6M diagram (do this with process owner) to rearrange the information collected in SIPOC to categorize the inputs in each of the 6 bones. This helps to create more dialog if one finds the focus is more on a bone while other bone is not being considered (balanced approach for improvement process).

5. Now use the FMEA format from AIAG rev 4, to start documenting process steps, followed by failure modes.

5a. Ask WHAT effect will be to the output and fill the effect column.

5b. Ash WHY failure modes occurred and fill Potential cause (use 5 Why and document each answer appropriately in effect and cause column) Note: Each cause can be a effect and when you ask next why the cause will become an effect

5c. Ask HOW will each cause be detected or prevented and fill prevention and detection control columns.

6. Develop ranking matrices for severity on effect, frequency of occurrence for various causes and probability to detect/prevent a cause with type of control (visual, gaging or stopping the process) with process owner, process expert and internal customer (include external customer if possible) and stakeholders (process owners of multiple departments who are involved when you drew a process map)

7. Rank each effect, cause and control to calculate RPN, which is sorted for high to low. Higher RPN are reviewed by process experts and process owners to select which will provide best bank for the buck and presented to management to get approval for providing needed resources.

Hope this helps.

Contact me if there are any questions or concerns.

Ashok

Dear Sir

You have told for prevention and detection filling as per 5c.I want to know in preventive control can i use set up approval,work instruction,check chart.

2)if i have applied preventive control ,can i give detection control too.

regards

anil gupta

Anil,

Preventive control will stop the process to make a defect. If a set up approval, work instruction or a check chart will proactively stop the process to avoid a defect (visual, dimensional, functional, safety, etc.) then it may be considered as a preventive control. However, in my experience I have never considered them as such. You have to evaluate it based on the environment, culture, technology, people and process where you are trying to document a FMEA. Be pragmatic and stay consistent with your assumptions and thinking, as FMEA is a living document. 

Yes, in a failure mode, one can identify a detection and a prevention control. However, if a control will stop the process to avoid a defect, why should there be an active detection control maintained after it has been proven that the prevention control is effective and does not trigger as a "hit and a miss"?

Hope this answers your questions.

Sorry for a late response.

Ashok

Ajish,

In my humble opinion the best way to learn FMEA is to do it. Every iteration will give you some insight.

However if you go to the following website you can search for FMEA. My learning of this tool was based on reading AIAG 6 pack (when TS16949 was not yet published) and applying the learnings of various tools in projects.

http://global.ihs.co...dards/AIAG.html

Hope it is helpful.

Ashok

Here is one thing I should have mentioned in my post dated Oct 11th, 2010.

During steps 2 & 3, team should identify Key Process Inputs (KPI) and Key Process Outputs (KPO) which are derived from Voice of Customer, Drawings, Machine / tool manufacturers, Design reviews, etc.

The failure modes on the KPI & KPO should be evaluated very throughly using cause map and 5 Why tools. An effect can be a potential cause in another process step.

Here is the format I use for documenting FMEA.

xls.gifFMEA_-_AIAG_Ver4.xls

Hope this helps.

Ashok

The steps for developing the FMEA are summarized as follows:

Describe product or process

Define Functions

Identify Potential Failure Modes

Describe Potential Effects of Failures & Determine Severity

Determine Potential Causes of Failure & Occurrence

List Current Controls/Detection Methods & Detection

Calculate RPN

Determine Action

Evaluate Results 

from site : https://goo.gl/Z79ueU

Be sure to have answers for the following:

• Who will participate on the FMEA team?
  • Who will trigger the FMEA?
  • Who is responsible for acting on the recommended actions?
  • Who is responsible for the budget, staffing and training of the resources?
  • Will senior managers have an overall steering committee that reviews the progress of the FMEA rollout? If yes, how will the senior management review the FMEA after the rollout?

learnings : http://persica-lime.blogfa.com/