What is Six Sigma, DMAIC Methodology?

Hi,

I am planning to do green belt certification. I am currently working in an IT organization for the last one year.

My question is regarding the training. any one of you having knowledge of this, please reply:

1.  if i do certification and training will it be specific to IT ( as in GREEN belt in Six Sigma, IT) and will my training and examination will be specific only to IT.

2.  Suppose later in my career I join some other industry( like finance ) , will I have to do again six sigma green Belt( in Finance). Or these trainings and their applications remain the same accross diffent industries.

Thanks in advance

Ankur

Dear Ankur,

Six Sigma tools are fundamentally the same irrespective of your functional area or industry.

I am currently conducting a Green Belt program in Delhi (Hotel Radisson) 13 May to 16 May 2009. In this program, we have people ranging from a Fresher to Vice President of a large company. The functions represented in this program are Finance, HR, Marketing & Sales, Operations, Development, General Management and Supply chain. The industries represented are IT (development), IT (infrastructure), IT (System Support), Manufacturing (textile), manufacturing (automotive), manufacturing (electrical), BPO (voice), BPO (non-voice), Banking, Insurance, Consulting, Hospitality, Power, and Logistics. Six Sigma competence makes it feasible for you to switch between industries and functional areas.

Regards,

VK

Master Black Belt Trainer

Lead Facilitator,

Benchmark Six Sigma

• 1 month later...

Hello Vikas,

You are right. Process Capability finds a specific and detailed focus in Six Sigma. Please remember that the concepts of capability indices did exist before Six Sigma methodology was put together by professionals at Motorola. Also, it would not be wise to say that Toyota (from where Lean emerged) practitioners do not work on process capability they do.

However, as far as training and project focus is concerned, Six Sigma has brought process capability to the fore and we do insist that the concept should be clear even at Green Belt level.

Regards,

VK

• 1 month later...

Sir Sanjeev,

Thanks for ur cmments, I'ld like to know that "Understanding customer needs is a critical first step in developing a successful product."

"well come for any comments on above clarification". How can we know the customer requirements?. What would be the process?"

Regards,

Mayank

First, what it is not. It is not a secret society, a slogan or a cliché. Six Sigma is a highly disciplined process that helps us focus on developing and delivering near-perfect products and services. Why "Sigma"? The word is a statistical term that measures how far a given process deviates from perfection. The central idea behind Six Sigma is that if you can measure how many "defects" you have in a process, you can systematically figure out how to eliminate them and get as close to "zero defects" as possible.

More clarifications are welcomed.

Thanks & Regards

Surinder Kumar Chauhan

Hello Amrita Kumari,

I hope you are studying well, Six sigma is a great methodology which moves from magic and Arts to Science!

Please just have a look up the side of this discussion forum Mr. Suresh Jayram Sir has written clearly about six sigma and where its to implement and how to?

Thanks,

Sanjeev

• 1 month later...
  • VOC - Voice of Customer - The expectations, complaints, feedbacks of an internal or external customer. VOC is the driving force of many Six Sigma projects.
  • QMS - Quality Management System - ISO 9001 is the most used QMS standard. When a company designs its quality management system, it needs to suitably include elements of QMS. These include the creation of processes that shall meet requirements of clients. One way of designing the QMS is through the implementation of ISO 9001:2008.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Six Sigma is a highly disciplined process that helps us focus on developing and delivering near-perfect products and services. It is a powerful methodology that can be used to improve any business processes. It is a systematic and a structured approach to problem-solving and can be applied to any process in any organization, be it sales, marketing, accounting, purchasing, manufacturing, IT or even in BPO. Here it is important to mention that all processes have variation. Variation is the main cause of all evil and further leads to defects and customer dissatisfaction. Six Sigma methodology can be used to reduce variation from any source and thus improve costs, quality, and hence customer satisfaction

2. The unique feature about Six Sigma is that this is the only Quality Improvement methodology where defects or nonconformity are measured. It is completely data-based improvement technique where defects are measured; hence, measurement is the basis for improvement Six Sigma methodology. The central idea behind Six Sigma is that if you can measure how many "defects" you have in a process, you can logically and systematically figure it out in any process and further eliminate them and get as close to "zero defects" as possible. It is rightly said that, if you can not measure, you can not manage it and you can not manage it then you can not improve it.

3. Why "Sigma"? The word is a statistical term that measures how far a given process deviates from perfection. The word Six Sigma corresponds to 3.4 defects per million opportunities. It does not mean attaining 3.4 defects per million opportunities (DPMO) i.e. if your process capability is presently 2.4 sigma levels and through Six Sigma improvement methodologies you attain 2.6 levels then you are in Six Sigma way. This way we can say that Six Sigma is a Drive, a way of improvement or it is a Quality Improvement Movement.

4. The standard methodology for Six Sigma improvement is called DMAIC. The acronym DMAIC stands for Define - Measure - Analyze - Improve - Control and Suresh has rightly commented - this methodology is nothing but common sense.

Thanks & Regards,

K.P.Srivastava

B.I.T, Mesra, Ranchi

Six Sigma is a set of practices originally developed by Motorola to systematically improve processes by eliminating defects.A defect is defined as nonconformity of a product or service to its specifications.

While the particulars of the methodology were originally formulated by at Motorola in 1986, Six Sigma was heavily inspired by six preceding decades of quality improvement methodologies such as quality control, TQM, and Zero mDefects. Like its predecessors, Six Sigma asserts the following:

• Manufacturing and business processes can be measured, analyzed, improved and controlled
  • Succeeding at achieving sustained quality improvement requires commitment from the entire organization, particularly from top-level management
  • Continuous efforts to reduce variation in process outputs is key to business

The term "Six Sigma" refers to the ability of highly capable processes to produce output within specification. In particular, processes that operate with six sigma quality produce at defect levels below 3.4 defects per (one) million opportunities (DPMO). Six Sigma's implicit goal is to improve all processes to that level of quality or better success.