Reducing Attrition through DMAIC way.....

Hi All,

Need you advice...

Currently I am working one of the business problem which is adversely impacting the client deliverable's.

Problem is - High Attrition.

I understand its a universal problem, I am just trying to control few of the factors which are in our control.

So with the help of an HR I have collected last 12 months data (Aug 2013 till Sep 2014) attrition data.

I also studied the reason given in exit interview while leaving. Accordingly I have classified few of reasons for leaving into sub-groups, they are:

1) Career Growth

2) Compensation

3) Family Problem

4) Higher Position

5) Relocation

6) Health Problem

7) Higher Studies

8) Own Business

9) Performance Issue

10) Dissatisfied with Job

11) Working Hours

12) Job Location

13) Job Profile

Also please see the Pareto attached.

The data which I have collected have following information:

Name

Project

Designations

Grade

Education

Location (residential)

Marital Status

Date of Joining

Last Day in the Org.

Date of Resignation

Notice Period Served

Notice period Required

What further analysis I can do with the above given data ??

Please advice.

Regards,

Rajiv Nair

post-100043-0-59603200-1413033537_thumb.

Hi All,

Need you advice...

Currently I am working one of the business p
post-100043-0-59603200-1413033537_thumb.

roblem which is adversely impacting the client deliverable's.

Problem is - High Attrition.

I understand its a universal problem, I am just trying to control few of the factors which are in our control.

So with the help of an HR I have collected last 12 months data (Aug 2013 till Sep 2014) attrition data.

I also studied the reason given in exit interview while leaving. Accordingly I have classified few of reasons for leaving into sub-groups, they are:

1) Career Growth

2) Compensation

3) Family Problem

4) Higher Position

5) Relocation

6) Health Problem

7) Higher Studies

8) Own Business

9) Performance Issue

10) Dissatisfied with Job

11) Working Hours

12) Job Location

13) Job Profile

Also please see the Pareto attached.

The data which I have collected have following information:

Name

Project

Designations

Grade

Education

Location (residential)

Marital Status

Date of Joining

Last Day in the Org.

Date of Resignation

Notice Period Served

Notice period Required

What further analysis I can do with the above given data ??

Please advice.

Regards,

Rajiv Nair

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rajiv, 

Attrition is one of the most pressing problems in many companies. Here are some of my thoughts and suggestions. 

• I presume that the exit interviews were done in a congenial atmosphere with promise of anonymity. There are sensitive causes that people will not expose unless they are comfortable. 

• There should be multiple ways of doing Pareto's analysis (other than by causes - which you have done). For example you may do this analysis by tenure, by function, by job goals, by salary bracket etc. Please try some of those which you find meaningful.  

• While doing Pareto's analysis with reasons, there are chances that the categories are not mutually exclusive - Someone may have left because of multiple reasons (though may have chosen to mention only one).

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards, 

VK

Hello

I agree to what Mr Vishwadeep said.

I feel you should try do and deep dive to know career goals of people you are dealing with. Give them fair opportunities inside the process keeping into consideration your deliverables.

Do a survey with employees, get to know their needs and make a plan for career growth. Try and create growth road map within the process keeping into consideration the cost attached. I feel People are valuable assets, losing them would lead to more hiring, training cost. So if we could retain our good employees by giving them better opportunities within the process, half the job would be done

You can also think of revising the compensation structure. You may come up with better incentive plan, racognition plans etc. As per me, one employee probably costs us let's assume 3 lakhs / year however, losing that employee, especially a tenured one could even lead to more because ultimately we will land up hiring and training people and they are going to take their own time to come up the ladder resulting in low productivity, less efficiency.

Create SME's, talent pool within the process, groom them, spend quality time with people and keep them engaged.

Yes there could be more than a reason for leaving, so we need to work on each separately (controllable). Each one of us works for growth, money at the end of the day. so I am sure if we manage to provide ample growth opportunity to them, they will definitely stick to the company and will feel motivated.

Sandeep Jain

• 3 weeks later...