#1 namrataj85

namrataj85

Biochemistry technician,Customer Care

• Fraternity Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

Dear all,

Can one pursue sixsigma as a career? For eg. in my case my organisation isnt that large to implement sixsigma but i want to take this up as a career option as i am very much interested in quality assurance and quality management.

Plz advice.Thanks

Namrata

#2 Basker Pushpala

Basker Pushpala

Human Resource

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi, Namrata i saw your question it shouldnt be your organization big or small all you need is to learn Six Sigma and become a MBB it is going to help you out save lot of time in the same fied where your working the inputs which is given to u will be enormouse and the learing skill will be quick when you take the programmew sheather it is quality or management your knowledge will be sure that u are out of the lot. Think you are spending your time connected with your work dont think that it is useful orit not imagine you are left in a swimming pool with out knowing swimming but only one hand who takes care in that time is your coach he is going to give yu a hand all other thing is worked by u. you will pour with ideas and through working knowledge of six sigma.

basker

#3 namrataj85

namrataj85

• Fraternity Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi Baskar,

Thanks for the inputs. Well the question still remains that if i continue working where am working now it doesnt really matter if am a GB or MBB 'coz my knowledge of sixsigma would only stay with me and there is no scope that i can implement it in this current organisation! So what do you suggest in this case?

Namrata

#4 mohit anand

mohit anand

• Fraternity Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

HI Namrata,

Career opportunities are on the rise in the six sigma sector at various capacities. With companies putting emphasis on quality as well as cost management there is a huge upswing in the demand for the six sigma professionals. six sigma training enhances your understanding of the statistical tools and increases your flexibility and interpersonal skills which you can put to use both within and outside your organisation.

Mohit

#5 Vishwadeep Khatri

Vishwadeep Khatri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,203 posts
  • Name:Vishwadeep Khatri

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Hello Namrata,

You have mentioned that your organization is small. I know one father and daughter company that implemented Six Sigma very well and got wonderful business success.Small companies have advantages of quick decision making and less bureaucracy. However, some management buy-in may be required depending on your position. Can you highlight about the industry you are in and your role to explore the subject more?

#6 namrataj85

namrataj85

• Fraternity Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

Dear VK,

I work in a lab,am a biochemistry technician.Its a big set up for a lab, with state-of-the-art automation and technology in place.  I process tests, partly look after quality implementation,documentation and control in my department. The problem is that there are too many people involved in the Quality Policy of our lab.There is Dept.Head, QM and Lab Manager ,Doctors and Directors and being a privately run organisation its really difficult for me to even convince them all to atleast try implementing sixsigma methods! Am totally convinced myself that it would surely reduce a lot of problems that we are currently facing and a lot that we are bound to face as the business grows.I definitely want to make a career in quality management and it definintely would be with the help of sixsigma so what do you suggest? I am ready to give up my current profession and start something totally new. Please advice.

Regards,

Namrata

#7 Vishwadeep Khatri

Vishwadeep Khatri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

Dear Namrata,

In most situations, it is best to try out some Six Sigma success at current place because you are so familiar with processes. As you attend the training in a forthcoming batch, I am sure we can generate some ideas that can be put into immediate use. It may or may not not be a full fledged Six Sigma project.

My point of view for most participants is
  • If you can apply one technique at a time to generate some benefit, do that.
  • If you can apply a series of tools and reach a recommendation (which may not be accepted), do that. Atleast try and reach a recommendation based on fact based techniques.
  • Nobody can take away the learning that you derive from each application.
  • If you are conceptually sound, you will get opportunities of applying the philosophy, concepts, tools at numerous places.
  • I agree that the "taste of the pudding is in the eating". and - Taste of Six Sigma is in the results. But to start with - if you get the right ingredients, cook well - you will find people willing to try and taste your pudding (this one or the next one) sooner or later.
  • I have nothing against exploring an opening that helps implementation in a more supported manner. The caution is - beware of time gaps between learning and practice.
  • Do not wait for an ideal time to put Six Sigma concepts into use. Start on "here and now" basis.

#8 namrataj85

namrataj85

• Fraternity Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Dear VK,

Thanks so much, i definitely am looking forward to the training and probably i will try cross the bridge when i'll get to it!  I also want to tell you this open forum is really inspiring and its a great job you guys are doing guiding freshers like me! Pls continue doing so.

Thanks again.

Namrata

#9 Vishwadeep Khatri

Vishwadeep Khatri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hello All,

This topic needs a reference to another link - Six Sigma Success Stories. You can see at http://forum.benchma...six-sigma-blog/

Regards,

VK

#10 Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Management Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Dear VK,

I have completed MBA in Operations & currently working with a manufacturing firm. I am basically a Mech. Engineer with ! yr. of Work Exp.

Right now I am undergoing training in different divisions of the company & simultaneously getting different projects to handle.I am planning to attend Green Belt prog. in Mumbai in Nov.

My question is, how can I apply my Six Sigma Knowledge iin these projects?
B'coz, the company is not very much inclined towards such techniques & I am not assured whether I will get support from my Mgmt. to handle Six Sigma Projects.

Plz, give ur feedback.

Sarang Bhusari

#11 Vishwadeep Khatri

Vishwadeep Khatri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

Dear Sarang,

Six Sigma provides you a way of thinking different from others. You shall be able to use specific Six Sigma techniques, concepts and elements at your work place, even if you do not get a chance to do a full fledged project.

There are good number of our past participants, who have been instrumental in introducing Six Sigma in their unit, function, department or company. Of course it requires carrying out small assignments whenever and wherever possible and showcasing them well.

Six Sigma way of thinking can take you a long way. There are some Benchmark Six Sigma participants who are among top management positions today within 7-8 years of their professional career. They attribute phenomenal career growth to certain factors which have been summed up very well by Vivek Madan (who has a great success story which can be seen at http://forum.benchma...in-a-large-bpo/
  • Ability to see complete picture from a business perspective very early.
  • I was able to interact with leaders of various businesses internally. So access to people and visibility was always very good.
  • I was able to learn how processes behave.
  • Carrying a Six Sigma toolkit with me always helped in day to day professional situations even outside the projects.
  • Six Sigma language and jargon helped me to get the message across quickly
  • Ability to deliver business benefits brought me closer to leadership sooner than others.
The key lies in carrying out assignments that make sense for your immediate superior (or those that make business sense). Six Sigma provides you skill sets to be able to do this.

After the training, you need to
  • Carry out small assignments (practice six sigma techniques in a theoretical, simulated or real situation) while you wait for the bigger project.
  • Remain in touch with the subject while you wait for the right opportunity
For both the above objectives you shall be supported by PRIVATE FORUM (Another forum designed exclusively for participant queries and discussions)

The mantra is simple - Whenever you are able to carry out an assignment (small or big) that helps your immediate superior or the company, your capability get noticed. It is better to start doing such assignments sooner rather than later.

Six Sigma provides you competence that is industry independent. Six Sigma participant interviews (from various industries) can be seen at http://forum.benchma...at-2-interviews

Regards,

VK

#12 Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Management Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

Dear VK,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information.

Also let me know that to what extent I can use my Green Belt Certificate & Knowledge in order to switch my career as a Quality Auditor or Consultant.

Actually, I don't want to stick only to the manufacturing field. Rather, I want to explore the working of any organization on a much broader level, where in after some years of experience I can land into Consultancy of Engineering & related fields.

Could you throw some light on this?

Also let me know whether my thought process is on the right path or not.

Is anything else required to achieve this?

Regards,

Sarang Bhusari

#13 Vishwadeep Khatri

Vishwadeep Khatri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Dear Sarang,

Six Sigma is the most powerful DOMAIN INDEPENDENT learning. Six Sigma professionals switch industries and functional areas with ease as Six Sigma practice is virtually the same.

People have been moving from Manufacturing to Banking, from Banking to KPO, from R&D to BPO, from Hotel to BPO, from HR to Quality, from Quality to Operations, from Operations to Quality, from OTHER DOMAINS to Senior Management just to name a few.

The best example is GE, where professionals with Six Sigma competence have moved a lot across industries. Many of them grew a lot while remaining within the GE as a corporation.

I want to highlight one comment made by Jack Welch once

"Six Sigma is the most important management training thing we've ever had. It's better than going to Harvard Business School."

This statement is from "The GE Way Fieldbook" and can be seen from the book review by clicking here

Regards,

VK

#14 Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Management Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

Dear VK,

Thanks a lot.

As you said, the most important thing in Six Sigma is to minimize the gap between learning & implementing the techniques.

So, after my Green Belt, I will definitely go for some small assignment which will help me in implementing my ideas.

I will clarify my further difficulties, if any.

Regards,

Sarang

#15 jak27

jak27

Project Manager

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

Dear VK,

I am Junaid Khan, MBA in Finance and working as a BDM in a small IT Company, I am planning to do green belt from benchmark probably on 23 to 26 sep. at Bangalore. I wants to make my carrer in Quality Management.  I have a small query, after completion of my green belt will benchmark help me or assist me on getting a project on green belt?

Regards

Junaid Khan

#16 Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Sarang Bhusari1314164370

Management Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Dear VK,

Could you provide some examples by which I can get more clear idea about the scope of being a Green Belt Certified Individual.

Could you share some links of those individuals who have started their career as a Green Belt Professional.

These real time experiences will clarify my thought process further.

Looking forward for a positive response.

Regards,

Sarang

#17 muzaffer siddiqui

muzaffer siddiqui

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi,

I am an MBA Grad. in Finance and HR

Will any 1 of u tell me da benefit of Six Sigma and fees for dis course..and what will be the opportunities of getting a good job after doing any belt in six sigma.

#18 Vishwadeep Khatri

Vishwadeep Khatri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

Dear All,

As far as job assignments for freshers are concerned, there are cases of freshers joining in a Six Sigma role as their first job in Automotive companies, Consulting, Banking, Hospitals primarily due to Six Sigma competence.

Some of them have agreed to share their experience in interviews. You shall be able to find some in interviews at http://forum.benchma...igma.com/blogs/

Regards,
VK

#19 Apurvo Ghosh

Apurvo Ghosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

Dear VK,

I am Masters in Computer Applications (MCA) and working as a Senior Technical Writer in an MNC in Gurgaon, Haryana. I am quite keen on going for a Green Belt certification. My main concerns are:

1. Can I go for a Green Belt certification inspite of being associated with another field instead of Quality?

2. Can I utilize my existing work experience after attaining the Green Belt and improve the documentation processes in my company? If Yes, How?

3. What areas can I switch after the successful completion of Green Belt certification in an IT company?

Thanks.

#20 KETAN SHAH

KETAN SHAH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Dear VK

i m a chemical engg. working in operations department in an MNC,now my question is how could i implement the SIX SIGMA in my field as all the process is operated by licensor.i m not allowed to make any recommendations or change in the present condition as they(my boss) says whatever is there is fully optimised and they cannot do even minor change without the permission of the vendor.

so can u pls guide me on this topic ,i m also interested in joining the training sessions of SIX SIGMA,i have alredy attended training on QUALITY CIRCLES.

thanks in advance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users